Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Mexican Lasagna

Mexican Lasagna
We love everything taco in our house and put it into the meal plan every week to every other week!  I am constantly looking for ways to change it up so I'm not just eating regular tacos every week! This one my kids did not eat it the first time it was made but my husband did approve of it!  I think my kids will also the more they see it offered to them. It was the peppers they saw in it that made them not want to try it!! I personally think it was delicious!!
What You Need:
- 1 red and 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 lb ground meat- I use venison!
- 1/4 cup taco seasoning  (my recipe for my taco seasoning I use is also in this blog!)
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- about 1 1/2 cups of fat free refried beans
- 2 small cans of diced chiles
- 2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 12 corn tortillas
What to Do:
1. Dice pepper and onions and sautee in the EVOO
2. Brown the ground meat. Add the chiles into the ground meat right before the meat is almost done
3. Add cooked onions and peppers, seasoning and 1/4 cup water to the meat mixture. Let this simmer together for about 10 minutes
4. Spray a 9X10 pan with extra virgin olive oil spray
5. Line the bottom of the pan with 6 corn tortillas
6. Spread 3/4 cup of refried beans onto the corn tortillas evenly
7. Spoon half the meat mixture over the tortillas and beans
8. Layer the last 6 corn tortillas on top of the meat
9. Spread 3/4 cup of refried beans on top the tortillas
10. Put the rest of the meat mixture on top of the beans
11. Top the dish with the shredded cheddar cheese
12. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes!
* I like it topped with fresh salsa, plain greek yogurt, lettuce and tomatoes!  You can top it with any of your favorite taco toppings!*

ENJOY!!



**For those following the portion fix without the toppings this counts as: 1-R, 1-Y, 1-G, 1-B**


No comments: