Friday, March 11, 2016

Clean Sloppy Joe

Clean Sloppy Joe
Sloppy Joes are one of my favorite meals! I used to HATE homeade sloppy Joes and would only eat Manwich. Yea.. I know... how gross and bad for you!! So when I started my health and fitness journey I also stopped eating Sloppy Joes. Until I found this recipe and tweaked it to my liking! I make this both on the stove top and in the crock pot. Both work well for this recipe.
What you Need:
- 1 1/2 lbs ground meat (I use venison!)
- 1 (15oz can of organic tomato sauce, no sugar added
- 1/2 cup CLEAN ketchup. (Organicville or Organic Woodstock ketchup- look at the ingredients- a lot of ketchups have High Fructose Corn Syrup which you want to avoid!)
- 1 TBSP garlic powder
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
What To Do:
1. Brown the ground meat and drain any fat
2. Throw everything together either in a skillet or the crock pot.
If in the skillet- cook it all up together and let it cook on low for a while to let the onions and peppers soften.
If in the crockpot- cook on low for 6-8 hours.
* I ate this one on the flat whole grain sandwich flats but I also enjoy it on toasted Ezekiel bread. I also add a little cheddar cheese!

*For all the 21 day fixers, CIZE, Hammer and Chisel or anyone following the colored portion control plans this counts as 1-Red and 1-Green for one sandwich!*


No comments: