Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Overnight Pumpkin Oats

Overnight Pumpkin Oats


I think I have fallen in love!  I have seen overnight oats many times while doing recipe searches and meal planning but never tried them out. And man have I been missing out!!!

These overnight oats are simple, healthy and can be versatile!  Not only are these Overnight Pumpkin Oats delicious but I woke up to a pumpkin cinnamon-y aroma.  

This recipe makes a large batch but they reheat wonderfully!  These oats can be refigerated for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 2 months. To reheat, top desired amount with a few tablespoons of water or milk, then warm in the microwave or in a small saucepan until hot.  If the oatmeal is frozen, let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating!

YOU NEED:
- 1 1/2 cups steel cut oats
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 (15oz) can pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed meal (or you can swap an equal amount of chia seeds, hemp seeds or 3 tablespoons additional steel cut oats)
- 1 tbs pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbs ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice

For serving: you can garnish with chopped toasted pecans, dried cranberries, chopped dried apricots, chocolate chips, peanut butter, or any other mix ins that you enjoy with pumpkin!  I enjoy mine plain!

Directions:
1. Place all of the ingredients, except for the toppings, in the bottom of a 4-6 quart slow cooker and stir to combine.
2. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours (overnight) or on high for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, until the oats are soft but maintain a bit of chew. Remove cover and stir to evenly combine the ingredients, scraping the oats off the bottom and away from the sides. Enjoy warm with desired toppings!

I used a programmable 7 quart crock pot since that is what I own. I set it to low for 5 1/2 hours then it went to "keep warm" until I woke up!


**For portion fix- I filled one yellow container and counted it as 1-yellow and 1/2-purple

No comments: